It is always recommended to clean your oven at least once in every three to six months. The thought of cleaning can give you more stress than the actual cleaning, especially if you don’t know how to do it. Here are simple ways to clean your microwave oven with easily available ingredients and tools.
Let’s first talk about the materials you would need to clean the oven.
- Paper towels and old newspaper
- Spray bottle
- Stainless steel scrub
- Garbage bag
You wouldn’t require any extraordinary ingredients or chemicals to clean the oven. You just need these four ingredients which are already available at your home and let’s see how you can use them for cleaning:
- Baking soda and vinegar
- Take a bowl and add ½ cup of baking powder along with 2 to 3 tablespoon of water and mix them really well.
- Separate all the racks from the oven and spread an old newspaper under it
- Now apply the baking powder paste evenly from the inside, outside and even all the corners and cervices. Make sure you don’t apply the paste on the heating element or from where the gas flames come through.
- Let it set for 10-12 hours or overnight.
- In a spray bottle, add water and vinegar in a 50:50 ratio and spray it over the dried baking powder paste. Let it sit for another 30 minutes.
- Wipe the paste with a washcloth.
- Cut the lemon into two halves and put it in a microwave bowl with some water
- Heat the oven at 250 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the bowl in the oven and wait for an hour until the lemon starts releasing its elements with the vapour.
- Turn off the oven and wait until it has slightly cooled down so you take an old toothbrush or a stainless-steel scrub to remove the sticky oil grease.
- Use a wet washcloth to wipe down the surface.
This is perfect for removing oil or melted cheese.
- When the food leaks, put a tablespoon of the salt at the spot immediately
- Wait until the oven cools down
- Then take an old newspaper or washcloth to wipe the salt and get the leaked food along with it.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Take a mixing bowl and add one cup of apple cider vinegar with two spoons of sugar.
- Apply the mix over the dried grease and blackened areas when it’s still hot. Let it set for an hour.
- Take a washcloth and wipe down the oven.
Cleaning racks, knobs and door
Oven racks: Soak them for three hours in boiled water adding a little amount of detergent. Or you can just use baking powder and vinegar spray in normal water. Then, scrub it off with stainless steel or an old toothbrush and rinse it thoroughly.
Oven knob: Cleaning the knob can get a little difficult and you have to be very careful about it. Just spray a little detergent and wipe it thoroughly without making the liquid slide inside the panel.
Oven glass door: Take a mixing bowl and add baking soda and water to make a thick paste. Apply it on the glass door carefully and let it set for 20 minutes. Take a newspaper or soft ash cloth and wipe down the paste for a crystal clear glass door.