If you’re a twitch streamer or YouTuber, or a content creator, then you must need a webcam that will allow you to showcase yourself to your streaming partners and audiences. There are tons of options in the market from n-numbers of brands. You can also find some best webcam for your streaming, but if you have a DSLR and don’t want to spend money on a webcam then you are in the right place.
DSLR cameras come with dedicated sensors and better quality results which are impossible to put under a regular webcam. We are not saying that all the webcams come with bad quality, there are ones that arrive with 4K streaming and recording, but they aren’t cost-effective.
Steam on a DSLR is all together with a different scenario, you have the liberty of making changes with the settings, increase or decrease exposure, adjust aperture, and a lot more. With time DSLRs have also come a long way, the technology has evolved with time and now we have the best setting even on an entry-level DSLR camera.
For some users, 720pixel resolution is enough for streaming, but if you’re a streamer or content creator then you can’t compromise with the viewing experience of your subscribers and viewers. You have to maintain the quality of the streaming no matter what.
Here in this article, I will let you know how to use your DSLR camera as a webcam for live streaming in a few simple steps.
How To Use DSLR As Webcam
A very simple way of using your DSLR as a webcam is the HDMI port which comes with all the cameras irrespective of brand. However, you will need a device that will bridge the gap between your camera to your PC or laptop. These are called Magewell and AJA Capture Devices.
Both the devices are specially designed for capturing and converting the signals from the camera. These devices make sure that the data runs without any lag. So it doesn’t matter if you have ten viewers or ten thousand the viewing experience will be lag-free.
The Magewell comes with one HDMI and one USB3.0 port which makes it less complicated to use, it also supports 2048×2160 pixels. Moreover, you can also adjust the colors, convert the aspect ratio, and a lot more.
Meanwhile, AJA is also similar to Magewell, but it’s compatible with more operating systems like Windows, iOS, and Linux, except Chrome.
How To Connect Your DSLR With PC
- First, you have to connect the DSLR camera with your PC via USB cable to ensure that the camera doesn’t run out on battery.
- Now, connect the HDMI cable to the capture device.
- Connect the capture device USB with the PC or laptop on which you want to use the DSLR.
- To use the DSLR as a webcam you need to download and install a small software called OBS. It’s a free application so no need to worry.
- Once you are done with the installation, fire up the application.
- Now you have to use your DSLR menu to change the settings to 1080p at 30fps or 60fps.
- Also, you need to disable the On-Screen Display to remove the date and timestamp.
- Open the OBS application on your PC.
- Go to the sources and click on Add.
- You have to select the Video Capture Device.
- Now set the video capturing tool as per your requirement. You can take the entire screen or just place yourself in a corner.
- Select the audio setting as well to record audio from the device, and you are all set to go.
Now you can stream directly from your DSLR to any platform without any hustle. You can stream on YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, Instagram, or any other video platform with a better quality result. So this is how you can use your DSLR camera as a webcam.