No matter where you are, you have to be prepared for the hottest days of the year with a good air conditioner. Whether you are replacing your old AC or simply installing a new one, the process of buying and installing an air conditioner can be a tiresome task, and most of your time is invested in deciding which is the right AC for your room.
To make this process easier, we’ve created this Ultimate Guide, to help you buy the right Air Conditioner for your home, irrespective of where you are!
Things to Consider
When deciding to buy the perfect Air Conditioner, consider the following points
- Room Size
- Frequency of Use
- Exposure to Sun or Heat
Also, consider these significant features which would make using the machine much more convenient
- Remote control
- Noise Dampening Technology
- Other Smart Features
Then, you need to take a look at the type of AC you would need depending on these factors.
Types of AC:
- Split AC
- Window AC
Split ACs are more energy-efficient than window ACs. They come in 2 parts – one is an indoor unit and the other one is an outdoor unit which is the compressor. Tubing is required in this type of AC, to connect the outdoor system to the indoor system. There are two types of Split AC.
Types of Split ACs
- Inverter – The motor of the inverter AC runs at a variable speed. The motor runs as per the temperature of the room, therefore increasing the energy efficiency and reducing the cost.
- Non-Inverter – The motor of the non-inverter AC runs at a fixed speed. No matter what the temperature of the room is, the speed of the motor remains fixed as the name suggests. This type of Split AC does not help save energy or reduce cost.
Advantage of Split AC
- Energy efficient
- Quiet operation
- Slim profile
- Aesthetically pleasing designs
- More expensive than window AC
- Requires high skill professional installation
- Tubing is required through either copper tube or aluminium tube
Window ACs are a more traditional form of ACs in the market. This is one complete unit which fits on the window.
Advantages of Window AC
- Fits properly on the window/wall
- Takes up less space on the floor
- Easy to install and uninstall
- Noisier than a Split AC
- Takes up window space
- Not very aesthetically pleasing to look at
Considering Btu (British Thermal Unit) while buying
Most air conditioners have their capacity rated in British thermal units (Btu). It measures the amount of heat an AC can remove from the air over a given period of time.
The higher the Btu, the better the cooling – but, bigger doesn’t necessarily mean better in this category of machines.
For proper cooling of the room, we need to match the area of the particular room with the Btu capacity of the air conditioner.
An underpowered AC won’t cool a large room properly while an AC with higher than required Btu would cool the room too quickly – dehumidifying the air. This may lead to the room feeling clammy and unpleasant.
|Area to be Cooled (Square Feet)||AC Ton||Btu (British Thermal Unit)|
|100 to 150||0.5||5000|
|150 to 250||0.5||6000|
|250 to 300||0.5||7000|
|300 to 350||0.75||8000|
|350 to 400||0.75||9000|
|400 to 450||0.75||10000|
|450 to 550||1||12000|
|550 to 700||1.2||14000|
|700 to 1000||1.5||18000|
|1000 to 1200||2||21000|
|1200 to 1400||2||23000|
|1400 to 1500||2||24000|
Energy rating is the number that shows the amount of energy that is required to cool a specific room. The higher the energy rating, the lower the relative energy used.
ACs with a higher star rating are usually more expensive but in the long run, they help save a lot of money by reducing monthly energy cost.
Refer to the table below to get an idea on how much energy you could save based on a 1.5-ton window or split AC at a different star rating.
Other important features to consider
- Removes harmful substances from the air like dust, pollen, hair and other microscopic substances.
- Cooling and Heating
- These units act both as a heater for winters and cooler during summers.
- Reduces the humidity in the air
- Dust Filter
- Removes dust from the air
- Auto Clean
- The AC automatically cleans itself from bacteria and other elements thus increasing its lifespan
- Sleep Mode
- You can set a pre-requisite temperature and the AC automatically turns off to give you a peaceful sleep.
Now that you’re armed with this guide, you can take an informed buying decision. Happy summers!